Thursday, March 6, 2008

P-51 Build

The P-51 is progressing slowly. Havent had the time or money to do much. Man, it is amazing how much building can end up costing. For the meantime, I have started the last of the building phase. The wing fillets are done for now. Of course, I will touch them up and make sure they are perfect later on, but they look good for now. The red is a polish I use after I have the first set of sanding done. It actually gives it a hard surface to sand against, so I take off less of the filler as I sand. Seems to work well and besides some small little bits that come off in the sanding, I think it is as smooth as I am going to get it. Did some sanding on the fuselage as well as I could see in the vids that it was looking funny. So, it is getting there. Had to be very inventive in all of the sanding lately to really make it look right. Had five cylindrical sanders I made from a broom handle to Noah's teething tablet bottles. Had to slowly progress the sanding so it would give the correct shape. On the fuselage, I actually took the roll of sandpaper I use to apply to my sanding bar. I took a 12 inch piece and started sanding across the whole thing. It started working really well as I could sand the whole top of the fuselage evenly. Really cleaned up the hard edges from sanding with sanding blocks. Hope you enjoy the vids. Unfortunately, there is no sound or maybe that is fortunate. The mircophone was off and was to lazy to reshoot all of the vids. 






The process has been a long and painful one at times, but it has come a long slowly. Probably somewhere over 200 hours with Noah helping a lot. He loves to play in the garage. Luckily, someone gave me a couple of old planes, so Noah likes to tear those apart. Haven't had a chance to really work on the plane lately, but the main building is done. Lots of sanding and finishing work to be done now, the real fun stuff!









No comments: